Tuesday, March 8, 2011

How Much Sleep Do We Need?

Illustration by Robert Neubecker. Click image to expand.

The National Sleep Foundation says that Americans don't get enough sleep. Doctors say that adults are the most sleep deprived, getting about 7 1/2 hours of sleep. Adults should be getting about 9 hours and 15 minutes of sleep a night. Scientists really don't know why we sleep, and that makes it very difficult to determine how much sleep we need.

Researchers look for correlations between people's self-reported sleep habits and their real-world behavioral patterns Adults who sleep less than seven hours self-report memeory loss and difficulty concentrating. Adolescents who sleep fewer than eight hours tend to get lower grades. Research studies show that adults sleeping fewer than six hours suffer cognitive impairment.

If sleeps nine hours or more mean that it is good for their health, for example, adults who sleep between six and seven hours per night live the longest. While those who sleep fewer than 5 hours and those who sleep more than 8 hours die younger.

3 comments:

  1. Well I know that if I get more than 8 hours of sleep a night I am useless the next day. I need at least 5-6. I know that they use to say 8 hours of sleep a night was what people needed, but then someone said researchers have changed that number to 6 which made more sense to me. I just find the more sleep I have, the sleepier I am. I honestly think it wold be hard for people to be given a certain number of hours they should sleep every night, I think whatever feels right for you is normal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Al. I honestly go on about four to five hours of sleep, every single day simply because of schoolwork or not being able to fall asleep. I almost always am sleepy, but if I sleep for a longer period of time, I feel worse. When I say worse I mean groggy, and it usually gives me headaches. I guess everyone is different. Honestly, I wish I had the time to sleep eight hours a night.
    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SLEEP? I don’t know what that is. On the average I probably get about 6 to 6 ½ hours of sleep. With everything from school and football to work, by the time I’m done its 2 or 3 am. I didn’t know that the amount of time you sleep affects your life span. Your body needs rest and good rest so from now on I’m going to try and get everything done earlier so I can sleep a little bit more.

    ReplyDelete